Votive Candles - Set of 9
A set of embellished tea light holders adds instant glam to a mantle or party buffet! Artisans working with our fair trade partner Noah’s Ark decorate each candleholder by hand, earning fair, consistent incomes for their work, helping them support their families and secure quality education for their children.
- Aluminum tea light holders hand-embellished with sequins and mirror pieces
- Set of 9 assorted designs incorporating red, white, silver and gold
- 1.5Dx.75H inches, box is 8.25Lx2Wx2H inches
- Tealights not included
- Handmade in India
About the Artisan: Noah's Ark is a fair trade handicraft marketing organization in Moradabad, India. Most of the jewelry artisans are women, who benefit from the fact that they can work from home and maintain their responsibilities for children and household. Noah's Ark provides benefits such as education and medical treatment for artisans and their families. Noah’s Ark also works to empower artisans at the workshop level, and regularly provides low or no interest loans to help with infrastructure upgrades and other business needs. As artisan businesses become more self-sufficient, Noah's Ark takes on new families. Since the company's inception, about 20 artisan workshops have become independent. Recently, Noah’s Ark has also started a small school for artisans’ children who might otherwise have little opportunity for education.
Noah's Ark started in 1986, in one room of a family house in Moradabad. Businessman Samuel Masih observed that exporters and middlemen were taking advantage of handicraft artisans, exploiting them as if they were bonded laborers. He started Noah's Ark to promote these artisans and their crafts. Masih invested the earnings into infrastructure and equipment for underprivileged artisans, into training and into marketing their products. Noah’s Ark is a member of IFAT, the International Fair Trade Association. Ninety percent of their sales are to IFAT members.
Ten Thousand Villages purchases jewelry and metal items from Noah’s Ark.
- Noah's Ark International Exports was founded in 1986.
- Noah’s Ark markets products from almost 40 artisan groups, representing some 300 artisans.
- Artisans with Noah’s Ark produce metal crafts, wood crafts, cutlery, handmade paper products, bone and horn products, glass, jewelry and textiles.
- Most Noah’s Ark artisans are women, many working from their homes.
- Benefits from Noah’s Ark include raw materials supply, education and medical services.
- Noah’s Ark trains artisans for better management, product development and support.
- Ten Thousand Villages currently carries jewelry and metal from Noah’s Ark.